Friday, March 5, 2010

Hardcore is Never a Snore

by Duane Beckett

The death of hardcore gaming is something that pains me very much. For me, gaming should have a real challenge so the reward is all the more sweet. Yet, it feels the majority of games these days cater for the crowd that likes using the buffers when bowling… Surely there’s more excitement in the risk of all your friends laughing at you rather than simply expecting to hit the pins?

I am hoping that with some of the games we develop at MYEscape we can at least add modes of game play that challenge the player. Of course, everyone likes the pat on the back with achievements and trophies but the simplicity of games these days, in my opinion, almost patronizes a player with its automation leading through the majority of interesting functions.

It’s not all bad that games are being simplified. They have truly broadened the market, but I do hope that at least a few of those new to gaming would appreciate a challenge in the ilk of what Pac Man was when originally released… I’m pretty sure everyone has fond memories of Pac Man and the satisfaction they felt when hitting the leader board’s elite! Gaming can be challenging and still suitable for the masses… Or at least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment